Monday, September 9, 2013

Under the Cover of The Long Game by J.L. Flynn

Today we're Under the Cover and between the sheets (of paper) with J.L. Flynn's NA debut, The Long Game. The book releases on Oct. 7th. First, here's the cover:



Now let's go Under the Cover:

The door of the trailer opened, and Jimmy Boy stepped out, rubbing sleep from his eyes. He stopped when he saw the gathering in his front yard, and for a second, it looked as if he might turn around and flee back into the safety of the trailer. Instead, he forced his feet down into the grass, taking a few hesitant steps toward the picnic table. He didn’t speak but crossed his arms over his chest, hovering behind me like hired muscle.

Pop Sheedy continued on without acknowledging my brother. “Then you’re in luck, Shay, because that’s exactly why I’m here. Sending you out with that trailer was a little test. An experiment, you might call it.”

I nodded to indicate I understood. I glanced at Pop’s sons, standing in a line behind their father just as Jimmy Boy stood behind me. It struck me that this meeting would present a pretty strange picture to anyone watching.

“And it proved exactly what I guessed it would, which is that you are an asset to this clan. I have a very special job, and you’re the only one who can pull it off.”

I’d been leaning forward, listening, but hearing this sent me reeling back several inches. “I’m honored, Pop. What did you have in mind?”

“I’m sending you up north to Pennsylvania. A place near Philadelphia called Balanova.”

“Balanova?” I’d never heard of the place. And I couldn’t think of a single person I knew who lived in Pennsylvania. “What’s in Balanova?”

“Revenge,” Pop said.


 

1 comment:

  1. I love this inside view to a whole different culture! Can't wait for the book to come out!

    ReplyDelete

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs