Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Ask the Naturals: Plotter or Pantser?

In the world of writing there are two camps those that plot and those that pants.  (Ok, there's a third camp called plotsers, too).

A plotter is someone who outlines and plans their novel in advance.

A pantser is someone who just starts writing by the seat of their pants.

And a plotser is someone who does a little bit of a both.

I used to be a pantser until I realized that some books required more planning.  Since then I've become a hybrid—a plotser.  Often I'll start writing random scenes to get to know new characters, but then at some point I stop and create a very loose outline of the book.

I thought it might be fun to ask the other Naturals what they prefer.

Laurelin: Plotter because that's how my mind works. I can't even imagine writing something that doesn't have direction. I don't necessarily outline, but it's all worked out in my head. FYI, when I used to play drums, I even planned my "improvs."  Surprises pop up for me along the way as we go, but still mostly outlined versus pantsed. I like to think of myself as a pantyliner, because it's funny.

Tamara: Pantser. Because it gives me freedom to go wherever the characters take me. I usually know I'll get from A to B, but I have NO idea how I'll get there.

Lucy: Pantsers. Because I am terrible at figuring out where the plot is headed until I get to know my characters. I typically have a rough idea of a narrative arc, but specifics surprise me and my MC both.

Melanie: Total panster. I have tried every possible trick to map out beats, outline, etc, and I blank every single time. Once I'm about a third to a half of the way through, I can see pretty clearly.

Are you a writer?  Do you plot or pants?

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs